Find out about the latest career opportunities here.
Featured jobs of the best industry.
Wedding planning jobs have today entered as one of the most lucrative career options for those who love creativity, glamor and freedom to be their own boss. A wedding planner is a professional who helps in planning, organizing and designing a wedding keeping in mind the client's budget and requirements. The concept of wedding planning has been there in the Western countries like the US from a very long time.
In India, the concept is still relatively new though it is becoming a fastest growing sector of the highly lucrative wedding industry. A wedding planner is also known as a wedding consultant.
What is the Job of a Wedding Planner?
Weddings are significant events in people's lives. Gone are those days when weddings were a simple affair. Today both the bride and the groom want to remember their D-Day. Even the family members are willing to spend money to make the wedding a lavish event, besides being arranged in an organized way. With less time and more work and busy schedule, most families take the help of a wedding planner so as to ensure that the tasks are completed efficiently and on time. A wedding planner job entails him or her to offer the following services to the client:
Wedding Planner in Destination Weddings
- To know in details the requirements of the bride and the groom and their parents.
- To prepare the budget
- To prepare a detailed wedding checklist
- To prepare the list of invitees
- Identification of event venues (hotels, banquet hall, church, temple, wedding manor etc.)
- Helping the bride and groom to select the trousseau
- To decide on the food items
- To decide on the theme, design and decor of the wedding venue
- To arrange for wedding service providers like priest, photographer, florist, caterers, beauticians etc.
- To co-ordinate with deliveries/services on the wedding day.
- To look after the guests' travel and accommodation needs.
- To have a back-up plan in the times of a disaster.
- Last but not the least, a wedding planner should also help in preparing legal documents, papers and translations required for destination weddings.
Wedding planners are quite popular in the Western countries for planning a destination wedding. In such a wedding the paperwork and documentation can be complicated. If in a wedding the groom and the bride belongs to two different countries, the wedding procedure differs as per the nationality of each the bride and the groom. For example, US citizens marrying in Italy needs an affidavit sworn in front of the US consulate in Italy which is referred as Nulla Osta. They also require an Atto Notorio that is sworn in front of the Italian consulate in the US, besides proper legalization for the marriage. In certain countries, the couple can get their "No Impediment forms" from their local registrar office. All these legal documentations are taken care of by the wedding planner for each different procedure.
How do you Start as a Wedding Planner?
To become a wedding planner you need to have the passion to do it. You have to be creative and innovative. You could belong to any field be it interior designing or textile designing or anything else but even then you can be a wedding planner. You need not have any formal training in wedding planning. You can achieve success in this field if you have lots of innovative ideas with you, you are confident and you have the will power. Almost anyone can change his present occupation or hobby into being a wedding planner. However, it is always good if you have a formal training to handle large scale events. You can also get resources in various books and publications and on websites to start a wedding planning career on your own. To begin with, you can work with an established wedding planner to gain hands-on experience before you venture out on your own.
Required Skills of a Wedding Planner
You can start your own wedding planning business if you have the following qualities in you:
Wedding Planner Courses
- A flair for details.
- A flair for fashion, color, designing
- A flair for organizing events
- Good communication skills
- Great negotiating skills
- Extensive knowledge of customs and rituals of different states and countries
- Good space management skill
- Good time management skill
- A passion for the glitter, excitement, and romance
- Able to handle multi-tasks at the same time
There are professional certified courses in the Western countries for those who want a career in a wedding planning. Signing up for a profession wedding planning course will help you to get the knowledge you need to go about planning a wedding in an organized manner. It will give you proper training on how to approach clients to get business and once you get business how you interview young brides, groom, parents with confidence. The courses help you to handle any situation that may develop or arise.
In India there are certain event management institutes who offer wedding planning courses such as follows:
The Pay offs of a Wedding Planner
- National Institute of Event Management, Mumbai
- Tania-Tapel Wedding Planner Training Academy, Mumbai
- Event Management Development Institute, Mumbai etc.
A successful wedding planning company has a a complete team comprising the wedding coordinators, designers, operations managers, store in-charge, fabrication in-charge, skilled carpenters, craftsmen, painters, artists, welders, florists, sound and light technicians etc.
A wedding planner in the US can charge either a flat fee or a percentage (perhaps 5-10%) of total the wedding cost. This can be anywhere between $20,000 to $2 million in relatively affluent families in USA. In India, a wedding co-ordinator starts getting Rs. 7000-8000 at the entry level. By the end of the first year, he or she can get Rs 12,000 per month. After 3, 4 years of experience, a wedding planner can hope to get anything like Rs 30,000-Rs 50,000 per month. At a much senior level in a wedding company, an operations manager can earn Rs 1 lakh per month. However a wedding planner has more chances of earning enormously from his/her own set-up. They can earn lakhs or even crores during the wedding season
Advantages of a Wedding Planner
- The job requires extensive travel. So if you are fond of traveling this is a good career option.
- The money is fantastic
- Increased flexibility in working hours
- Be your own boss
- You can work around other commitments in your life.
Being a wedding planner is a indeed a lucrative career that has practically no costs involved in setting up the business. All you require is a telephone, lots of contacts and a roomful of enthusiasm and ideas.